Sunday, January 3, 2010

Meditation Practice Status

For the most part, I have been meditating for at least 15 minutes each day.  It gets a little hit and miss around the holidays because my practice has become part of my morning routine.  On the weekend and during a holiday there is no routine so I sometimes end up not doing my morning practice.  On at least one occasion I did still do my practice in the afternoon!  Might have even been two different days too!  :)

I've been going strong for a month or so now in meditating for 15 minutes every morning.  I can definitely see a difference in my ability to focus more on my breath and am finding larger gaps between thoughts.  That's not everytime though.  There are still days where I find myself bouncing from thought to thought with teeny-tiny gaps between thoughts.

I'm definitely beyond the guided meditation stage and am ready for silence.  Troy and I sleep to music at night and I leave it on in the morning as we get ready for work.  I usually leave the music playing softly while I meditate.  Sometimes I become completely unaware of it.  Others, I use it as a focus to keep my meditation on track.  On the rare opportunity to sit in silence, I do enjoy it greatly. 

Another thing I have discovered is that 15 minutes is not very long after all. 

No comments: